Sunday, July 7, 2013

Cat Power? More like Cat Enervartion

What the fuck is up with Cat Power? Nice voice but so completely dire, musically and lyrically. It's like she took Velvet Underground's "Pale Blue Eyes" as a template, but then stripped it down even further and made it even more depressing. (Of course, the Velvets would have hated this shit if they'd been contemporaries, as they hated all subpar folk music, a fact certainly lost on Cat.) Therapy music, scared little girl rock, thorazine-drip music. Music for navel-gazing mulleted girls preoccupied with themselves ("hello thin boy, watch me finger paint in the corner of my room"), and for the hipster guys who want to love them. Two minutes of this shit and I wanna start swinging. I mean, it has to be a put-on, right, some art school lark? And I'm surprised that a magazine like New Yorker would be profiling music of such limited emotional range as this.

Empress's new clothes, to be sure. But of course the pencil-jeaned kids gobble it up.

Introspective Indie music doesn't have to suck, however:

 

2 comments:

slavano said...

Bravo!

peppergomez said...

Thanks. I didn't think anyone else ever read this stuff. :-)